and we have made a big decision.
We are taking a break from REAL food!
Yes, we are breaking up with REAL food.
There is such a sense of relief that comes with this decision.
Our lives are so short, we might as well live it up while we can. Now, we will be able to enjoy all the foods that are so conveniently all around us...doughnuts when Sunday church services resume, hot dogs and nachos at the ball fields, and ginormous fried onions and dipping sauces from some of our local restaurants!
Plus, have you seen some of the mouthwatering meals that are available for takeout right now?! We have seen pictures of amazing jalapeno bacon double cheeseburgers, chicken nuggets, potato salads, mashed potatoes, fettucine alfredo, breadsticks, fries, shakes, cupcakes, fried pies, cinnamon rolls and so much more!
There are many other things we are looking forward to!
Our Saturday mornings will now be free since we won't need to go to the farmers' market. We may still drop by occasionally, but it will probably be to pick up a scrumptious cinnamon roll, and we don't have to worry about getting there at the crack of dawn to get the best produce.
Breakfast and snacks will be easier. We can throw a couple Pop-Tarts in the toaster or enjoy a bowl of some of those cereals that we haven't had in years. Plus, if we get hungry in the middle of the day, we can just grab some chips or cookies to tide us over until lunch or dinner.
There are so many good deals right now! At our local store right now, we can get 3 frozen pizzas for $11.00! Plus, we can get 8 frozen burritos or chimichangas for just $3.49! Pop those bad boys in the oven or microwave and we are good to go!
No more need to plan and think about what's for dinner. We can just see what we're in the mood for when 5:00 rolls around. Then, we can just throw something in the oven or microwave, or go out and grab something -- this is going to be so freeing!
Our stress levels will plummet. Let's face it, times are stressful right now. Being able to grab a bag of potato chips or a carton of ice cream will be a great way to wash that stress away!
Ok, we better stop in case some of you are starting to worry.
Just in case you haven't looked at your calendar today, it is March 31st, which means that tomorrow is APRIL FOOL'S DAY!
So, happy early April Fool's Day!
Honestly, it was extremely difficult just to write some of those things! After discovering all the benefits and enjoyment that comes from REAL food, there is NO WAY we could ever give it up!
Even if we have a day or two where our REAL food options are limited (especially when we are traveling), we find ourselves getting irritated and our cravings go crazy for a REAL food meal!
And, just to make sure you knew we were kidding...here's how we really feel about some of the points above:
- Yes, our lives are short, but the odds are in our favor for a much longer life - and higher quality of life - by enjoying REAL food. Just look at the people in the Blue Zones!
- We are trying to support local restaurants who put love and care into their meals, especially those that use REAL and local ingredients. We are very sad for those who have had to temporarily (hopefully not permanently) close their restaurants.
- Foods like jalapeno cheeseburgers, chicken nuggets, potato salad, mashed potatoes, breadsticks, fries, cupcakes and pies can absolutely be part of a REAL food lifestyle...we just think the taste and nutrition are so much better using REAL ingredients.
- We absolutely LOVE our trips to the farmers' market every Saturday! Our week feels empty without the freshly-harvested produce and we thrive on the opportunity to catch up with all of the amazing farmers and producers.
- Breakfast and snacks can be just as convenient - and way more delicious - with REAL food!
- Enjoying REAL food doesn't have to be more expensive. With a stocked pantry, using in-season ingredients and a little planning, we would argue it can actually be cheaper to eat healthy, enjoying REAL food. (Check out the abundance of kale Zonya can grow in a garden...with help from her hubby Scott!)
- Before our REAL food journey, we tried to minimize our time in the kitchen. Now, we enjoy spending time in the kitchen! We love preparing our meals and this is where some of our most important conversations take place.
- It really doesn't require much time to plans meals. It can actually be fun to try to come up with new and exciting ways to figure out how to use the in-season ingredients and to satisfy whatever your or your family's cravings may be.
- Comfort foods are a myth. While eating a bag of chips or a carton of ice cream may provide some short-term comfort, this can actually increase your stress levels further. Because after you've over-indulged, now you are even MORE worried about your weight, diet and health, which causes even more stress...UGH! What a vicious, never-ending cycle!
We are so sorry if we caused anyone any anxiety when you first read this!
Rest assured we LOVE REAL FOOD more than ever and we hope to continue to inspire and motivate others to do the same!
Especially with the current situation, this is the perfect time to savor and enjoy all the flavor and nutrients REAL food provides! Some may be really enjoying the increased cooking at home, some may be dreading it, but we would definitely encourage you to savor it!
A friend of ours recently commented that this quarantine has brought their family together again for dinnertime...after the 9th day of dinner together at home, their 11 year old daughter said, "this is kind of weird for us, but good!"
Are there any surprises or blessings have you discovered?