It requires no recipe.
It can be one of life’s simplest pleasures.
And, it's ideal for breakfast, lunch, a mid-afternoon snack or any time of the day.
If you haven't already, you must try it soon...
it's avocado toast!
It's been "trending" the past few years, although it has been “a thing” for over 100 years. Whether you have never tried it, or enjoy it frequently, we want to share some ideas and tips to help inspire you to make avocado toast part of your REAL food lifestyle!
Why has it been trending recently?
A couple of years ago, an Australian millionaire mentioned avocado toast as a reason why millennials were struggling financially and couldn’t save enough for a down payment on a home. Tim Gurner told an Australian news show, “When I was trying to buy my first home, I wasn’t buying smashed avocado for $19 and four coffees at $4 each…” This led to a flurry of articles and social media posts and avocado toast become the newest celebrity!
It became the punchline to jokes, an Instagram sensation, was the inspiration for a song (“…eatin’ avocado toast on the west coast…”) and was even the subject of a sculpture with an asking price of $765,000!
With this new-found celebrity status, avocado toast found its way onto menus all over the country. The average restaurant price has been $8 to $10, although some creations have a price tag over $20. So, it has certainly become one of the most over-priced items on the menu.
Let us count the ways. First, it is insanely versatile…the preparations and toppings are limitless!
It also has legit health benefits, helping to decrease cholesterol and better absorb cancer-fighting antioxidants. Plus, it's super-affordable and super-easy to make at home. In a matter of minutes, you can prepare a delicious meal or snack for less than $1.00 / serving.
Tips for AMAZING Avocado Toast:
- Start with good bread! For the most delicious results, it's important to have good bread -- a whole grain bread with REAL ingredients is ideal. And, then toast it!
- Ready-to-eat avocados! We all know there is a "window of opportunity" with avocados. As long as your avocados are not rock hard or completely brown, you can make them work for avocado toast. See our coaching tip and video for more on avocados.
- Try not to destroy your bread! You can add avocado slices directly on top of your toast. Although, mashing the avocado separately (and adding a dash of salt) before spreading it on your toast will produce a creamy, dreamy delicious base for your toppings.
- Get creative! You can start with simple toppings such as salt and pepper, other dried seasonings or crushed red pepper flakes, but we encourage you to get out of your comfort zone, get creative and enjoy a variety of different toppings!
Too much of a good thing?
But wait! We are not talking about just any fat...these are healthy fats, and the majority is oleic acid, which is a heart-healthy monounsaturated fatty acid and a major component in olive oil. Avocados are loaded with antioxidants that promote eye health and act as cancer fighters. Plus, when you include healthy fats from avocados with your veggies, it can dramatically increase the amount of antioxidants and nutrients you absorb. Avocados have NO cholesterol and negligible sodium, and their soluble fiber content works to significantly reduce your total cholesterol and reduce your risk of heart disease.
When it comes to an individual serving of avocado toast, it is best to enjoy 1/2 of an avocado, and then share the other half with a friend or save it for a salad or another meal. Simply cover the cut avocado tightly with plastic wrap or place in an airtight container. Remember, the real reason cut avocados turn brown is because an enzyme in avocados causes the flesh to oxidize when exposed to air.
The fun part...what can you do to take your avocado toast to the next level?
Once you toast your bread and spread it with avocado, then try any of these great-tasting topping ideas:
- Pickled veggies - check out our coaching tip to see how you can quick-pickle a wide variety of fresh veggies -- it's so much easier than you think!
- Pesto - combine a spoonful of pesto with your avocado, add sun-dried tomatoes, and then sprinkle with your favorite nuts or seeds such as pepitas, walnuts or almonds.
- Caprese - exactly how it sounds! Add sliced tomato, fresh basil, slice of mozzarella, and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar or, better yet, balsamic reduction.
- Add seafood - smoked salmon, red onion and capers make a fantastic combination!
- Roasted veggies - leftover roasted veggies from last night's dinner make a delicious addition.
- Spice it up - add yogurt and Zaatar seasoning for a Middle Eastern flavor.
- Mexican style - add salsa or pico de gallo for some Mexican flair!
- Fruit works too - add mango and honey, strawberries and balsamic vinegar, or go for an Autumn-inspired version with pear, honey, gorgonzola, walnuts and a sprinkle of cinnamon…delicious!
- Keep it green - try green onions and crumbled feta cheese, or a combination of chopped fresh mint and feta cheese...or top with chimichurri sauce!
- Indian spiced - add an egg and then sprinkle with the spice Garam Masala.
- Spicy and simple - crushed red pepper flakes and crushed pistachios.
- Tuna melt version - mix canned tuna with 1/4 tsp of dill, a dash of garlic and onion powder, and 1 Tbsp of yogurt if desired. Then, top the avocado with tuna, sliced tomato and provolone cheese. Browned in the oven until cheese is melted...now, that is one fast meal!
- Add an egg! Whether it is poached, over easy, or hard-boiled, adding an egg is one of the best ways to kick your avocado toast up a notch. Then, add a drizzle of hot sauce, or sriracha…now you’re talkin'!
As with all your REAL food meals, making a homemade version with fresh, in-season ingredients will produce the most delicious results -- and help you save some money in the process!
Get creative and enjoy some avocado toast this week! Then, share your ideas and successes with us -- do you have another delicious topping we should add to the list?