Great news -- you can! And, it's the perfect way to use those lonely oversized coffee mugs sitting in your cabinet...you know, the ones that are just too cool-looking to get rid of, but you never use them because they are too big and your coffee gets cold WAY too fast?!
What is this great idea? Mug o' Eggs!
It's basically like making an omelette in a coffee mug! Contrary to what we have been told for many years, eggs are an incredibly nutritious breakfast choice...see our coaching tip, Don't Fear the Yolk. Many even consider eggs to be “the perfect food” because there are so many nutrients jam-packed into one small package! The best part about the Mug o' Eggs is the flavor possibilities are endless...Mexican, Greek, Indian, Italian, Korean or even a sweet version. This is also a fantastic way to use up leftover vegetables or to help clean out the refrigerator!
Whether this is the first time you have heard of this idea, or have been doing this for years, hopefully this will give you some new ideas for a super-easy, great-tasting REAL food breakfast!
The basic formula is super simple...
- Crack 2 eggs in an oversized mug.
- Add 1/2 cup (up to 1 cup) of vegetables of your choice such as spinach, onion, mushrooms, bell pepper, broccoli, variety of leftover cooked vegetables or others.
- Stir to combine and lightly beat the eggs.
- Microwave on high, uncovered, for 70 to 90 seconds. (Time will vary slightly depending on your microwave.)
- Add more toppings if desired and ENJOY!
But it doesn't need to stop there!
When your Mug o' Eggs is done, get creative and add 1/4 cup of your favorite shredded cheese, 1/4 cup of salsa, dash of salt and pepper, hot sauce (Sriracha would be a great addition here) or even diced avocado!
Watch our video to see how easy it can be!
Try these delicious and different Mug o' Egg varieties...simply follow the basic formula by adding 2 eggs, a dash of salt and pepper along with other ingredients, stir, microwave on high 70 to 90 seconds, and then add toppings. Breakfast is served!
- Mexican: eggs with 1/4 cup black beans, 1/4 cup red onion, 1/4 cup frozen corn, and 1/2 diced jalapeño. Stir to combine, cook, and then top with shredded cheese and/or salsa.
- Greek: eggs with 1/2 cup spinach, 2 Tbsp sun-dried tomatoes, and 2 Tbsp chopped red onion. Stir to combine, cook, and then top with crumbled feta cheese.
- Indian: eggs with 1/4 cup onion, 1/4 cup chopped tomato, and 1/4 tsp turmeric. Stir to combine, cook, and then top with chopped fresh cilantro.
Add oats to your egg combinations!
- Savory Florentine: eggs with 1/4 cup chopped onion, 1/2 cup to 1 cup raw baby spinach, and 2 Tbsp of rolled oats. Stir to combine, cook, and then top with shredded cheese, salsa, diced avocado, and a dash of red pepper flakes...YUM!
- Sweet and Fruity Oat'n Egg: eggs with 2 Tbsp of milk and 1/4 cup of rolled oats. Stir to combine, cook, and then top with 1 cup of berries and 1 Tbsp of honey, pure maple syrup or jam!
I couldn't agree more that eggs are a highly nutritious food, (in moderation of course, especially when combined with or alternated with oats.) You can easily stir in left-over cooked rice or quinoa (or uncooked oats, as in the sweet and fruity option) providing a nutritious whole grain so you don't have to make toast. (Also easily gluten-free for those of you who need that). These egg mugs have been a true life-saver for me, my husband and my son, as we can each make what we like. My son chooses having an egg mug on days he has exams, as he feels the protein gives him better satiety and focus, and yes, this has even been supported in the literature. So enjoy!
Breakfast can be a challenging meal to keep REAL (especially when it needs to be super-fast), but with a little planning and a variety of breakfast ideas, Eat REAL America will help you keep it healthy and interesting! And, of course, taste amazing! See our Better Breakfast coaching tip for even more ideas!