Why We Like It
Stuffed sweet potatoes make a great quick meal. The warm black beans and veggies really compliment the salsa and cool avocado! Super delicious! You can even cook your sweet potatoes in the slow cooker!
- 4 sweet potatoes (or 1 potato for each person)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1/2 red onion (chopped)
- 1 cup corn (canned or fresh corn off the cob would be best!)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup salsa (your choice)
- 1 avocado (pitted, peeled and sliced)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup Colby Jack cheese (shredded, OPTIONAL)
- 1 jalapeno (sliced, OPTIONAL)
- You can either cook your sweet potatoes in the oven or in the microwave, depending on your time.
- To bake the sweet potatoes in the oven: Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Pierce the potatoes with a fork and rub with olive oil. Bake for one hour, or until tender when pierced. To cook the sweet potatoes in the microwave: Pierce the potatoes with a fork and cook on high for about 3 minutes, then turn over and cook 3-5 minutes more (time will vary depending on your microwave).
- While the sweet potatoes are cooking, add 1 Tbsp of olive oil to a skillet over medium high heat. Add the black beans, red onion and corn to a skillet and saute for 3-5 minutes. Add ground cumin, salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- When the sweet potatoes are done, slit the potatoes open and fluff the insides with a fork.
- Top the potatoes with the black beans, red onion, corn, salsa, sliced avocado, cilantro, cheese and jalapeño slices, if desired. Enjoy!
If you can take advantage of in-season corn on the cob for this recipe, it makes it even better! There are several ways to cook your corn on the cob: wrapped in foil in the oven, on the grill, or in the microwave. The microwave can be a quick and easy way to cook corn on the cob; just remove it from the husk, place it in a glass pan with a little water, cover with plastic wrap and peel back one corner to vent. Cook it on high for 3-5 minutes, depending on how many you cook at one time. Don't be intimidated to cut it off the cob; just stand it upright in a bowl and using a sharp knife cut in a downward motion and cut the kernels off!
- Chunky Monkey Breakfast Cookies
- Pear and Banana Sweet Potato Toast
- Savory Smoked Salmon Sweet Potato Toast
- Mexican Spaghetti Squash Stir Fry
- Potato and Lentil Salad with Lemon Caper Vinaigrette
- Christmas Cranberry Salsa
- Kicked-Up Cranberry Turkey Tostadas
- Herb Roasted Vegetable Medley
- Butternut Squash Veggie Bake
- Slow Cooker Chipotle Veggie Chili